Sunday, April 4, 2010

Easter

French Toast Casserole

I made brunch for my parents and Scott and I on Easter Sunday. My mom had foot surgery a few days before, so I needed something that I could cook at their house and not make a huge mess. At first I wasn't sure how this would go over because my dad hates casseroles, but I think he ate 5 pieces. Sometimes I think he doubts my cooking abilities, but I am pretty sure he liked this one. ;) I served this with hashbrowns, fresh pineapple and a Butter Braid.


1 loaf French bread
8 eggs
3 cups milk
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Cinnamon to sprinkle
Butter

Spray 9x13 pan with Pam - cut bread about 1½” thick and lay in pan. Mix eggs, milk, sugar, vanilla, and a little cinnamon in a bowl. Pour mixture over bread and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Refrigerate overnight.

Next day, put a pat of butter on each slice of bread and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes.

Note: Don't cut the bread too thick or it will take forever to cook. Make sure you cook it long enough since it has so many eggs. Better to cook a little longer to be on the safe side.


Easter Goodies

I took a candy class right before Easter and got a lot of good ideas.

I made everything on this plate, except the edible Easter grass (which is disgusting, by the way, tastes like paper).

Cake balls and chocolate covered marshmallows. (See instructions below for cake balls.)


Solid, flat white chocolate bunnies. The detail was done with a toothpick.



Little eggs are filled with caramel and big eggs filled with rice krispies.



Solid 3D bunnies



3D lamb cake decorated with rosettes and my leftover flowers from my course 2 final cake. He turned out so cute that no one wanted to cut him.
Cake Balls

I stumbled upon a recipe for these right before Christmas and decided to give them a try and they were a huge hit with everyone. The week before Easter I had a cake completely fall apart on me and I hated to throw it away so it sounded like a perfect excuse for another batch of cake balls. I have seen several variations on how to make these, but this is how I do it:

Bake a cake, 9x13 works best and it probably works with any flavor cake, but I have only tried white. Let the cake cool and then crumble it into tiny pieces. Mix in a can of frosting, again you can probably use any flavor but I have only tried vanilla. Put the cake in the refrigrator for about 30 minutes to make it easier to work with then shape into balls. I use my cookie scoop to get the right size and then roll in my hands. Put the balls in the freezer for about 30 minutes. Melt chocolate, I use candy coating wafers (from Michaels or candy supply store) and dip balls in chocolate. Retrieve the ball from the chocolate with a fork, lightly tap fork on the side of the bowl and gently scrape the fork on the edge of the bowl to remove excess chocolate and then put on wax paper to set. If you want to put sprinkles on top you have to work quickly because the frozen cake makes the chocolate set very fast. Put the cake balls back in the fridge or freezer until completely set. It is best to only work with a few at a time so that the cake does not thaw before you dip it.

Notes: You can keep the cake balls in the freezer for weeks before dipping them, so you don't have to use the whole batch for 1 occasion (it makes a ton). I keep my chocolate on top of my pancake griddle (set to warm) to keep the chocolate melted while I am working with it. It will stay melted all day long, but make sure it does not get too hot and burn. I also add paramount crystals to my chocolate to thin it out. You can buy these at any candy supply store. You use about 1 tbsp to each pound of chocolate. Basically you want your chocolate to smoothly run off your spoon. If you have never been to Fischers Cake & Candy in Florrisant, it is a wonderful place!

For more details on this check out http://www.bakerella.com/. I LOVE this website, she has a lot of great ideas and she gives step by step instructions with pictures. I wish I would have found this site before I made them for the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment